Current:Home > ContactGuinea-Bissau’s president issues a decree dissolving the opposition-controlled parliament -Visionary Wealth Guides
Guinea-Bissau’s president issues a decree dissolving the opposition-controlled parliament
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 04:51:49
BISSAU, Guinea-Bissau (AP) — Guinea-Bissau President Umaro Sissoco Embalo issued a decree Monday dissolving the nation’s opposition-controlled parliament, less than six months after it was reconstituted following a similar move by the president in 2022.
Embalo cited last week’s shootout between troops loyal to him and forces controlled by the parliament, which he described as a failed coup.
“The date for holding the next legislative elections will be set in due time in accordance with the provisions of … the Constitution,” the decree stated. “This Presidential Decree comes into force immediately.”
The order referred to the “seriousness,” of a shootout that started in the capital, Bissau, between members of the Presidential Palace Battalion and the National Guard as the former tried to rearrest two ministers under investigation for alleged corruption who had been released from custody by the latter.
The leadership of the parliament rejected the president’s move, noting that the constitution states that parliament cannot be dissolved in the first 12 months after an election.
“If this situation happens, regardless of the mechanism used, we are in the presence of a subversion of the democratic order or a constitutional coup d’état,” Domingos Simões Pereira, president of the parliament, told reporters.
It is the second time in less than two years that Embalo has dissolved the parliament. Three months after surviving a coup attempt in February 2022, the Guinea Bissau leader did the same thing, citing “unresolvable differences” with the legislature.
Guinea-Bissau’s semi-presidential system limits the president’s powers by allowing the majority party in the parliament to appoint the Cabinet. As a result, the National Guard — which is under the Ministry of Interior — is largely controlled by the opposition-dominated parliament, while the Presidential Palace Battalion is loyal to Embalo.
Embalo, a former army general, was declared the winner of a December 2019 runoff presidential election, which his opponent contested. Tensions have remained between him and the coalition of opposition groups that won the majority in Guinea-Bissau’s parliament in June when the parliament was reconstituted.
Last week’s shooting incident lasted from Thursday night until Friday morning and happened while the president was attending the U.N. climate summit in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Upon his return, he dismissed Victor Tchongo, the head of the National Guard and said Tchongo hadn’t acted alone when he asked members of the guard to release the officials.
The bid to release the officials — Economy and Finance Minister Suleimane Seidi and Treasury Secretary António Monteiro — “clearly revealed the complicity of grand corruption with certain political interests” and sows “strong evidence of political complicity,” Embalo said in the decree.
It was not clear if the parliament would continue to sit despite the presidential decree. Pereira insisted the assembly remains in place because its dissolution is unconstitutional.
Since gaining independence from Portugal in 1974, Guinea-Bissau, a country of 2 million people, has endured continued political turmoil, experiencing four coups and more than a dozen attempted coups.
Last week’s shootout is the fourth attempted or successful military takeover of power in West and Central Africa in the past six months, including last week’s attacks on military barracks and prisons in Sierra Leone. It further raises tensions in the once-politically stable region where coups have surged, with eight military takeovers since 2020.
___
Asadu reported from Abuja, Nigeria
veryGood! (3873)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Striking Hollywood writers, studios to resume negotiations next week
- Closing arguments set to begin in Texas AG Ken Paxton’s impeachment trial over corruption charges
- Protecting Margaritaville: Jimmy Buffett, Bama and the Fight to Save the Manatee
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- China welcomes Cambodian and Zambian leaders as it forges deeper ties with Global South
- Hunter Biden's lawyer says gun statute unconstitutional, case will be dismissed
- Psychedelic drug MDMA eases PTSD symptoms in a study that paves the way for possible US approval
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Ohio parents demand answers after video shows school worker hitting 3-year-old boy
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Libyan city closed off as searchers look for 10,100 missing after flood deaths rise to 11,300
- Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signs law restricting release of her travel, security records
- Recent floods heighten concerns that New England dams may not be built for climate-induced storms
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Up First briefing: UAW strike; Birmingham church bombing anniversary; NPR news quiz
- NASA UAP report finds no evidence of extraterrestrial UFOs, but some encounters still defy explanation
- Things to know about Sweden’s monarchy as King Carl XVI celebrates 50 years on the throne
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
On movie screens in Toronto, home is a battleground
Father of 10-year-old UK girl Sara Sharif among 3 charged with her murder after Pakistan arrest
Southern Charm's Craig Conover Breaks Silence on Paige DeSorbo Cheating Accusation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Video shows 20 rattlesnakes being pulled out of Arizona man's garage: 'This is crazy'
Judge issues interim stay of New York AG's $250M fraud suit against Trump: Sources
As UAW strike looms, auto workers want 4-day, 32-hour workweek, among other contract demands